There’s always something going on in Central Karatsu: and if there isn’t, there’s always plenty of interesting places to eat! Thanks to the anime “Yuri on Ice”, Karatsu has become very popular and people from all over Japan come to visit Karatsu’s famous places as seen in the anime.
Places of Interest
- Karatsu Castle – stands on top of a hill overlooking the bay; stray cats and cherry blossoms abound
- Nijinomatsubara Pine Forest – a four kilometers long forest that may or may not be totally haunted
- Nishinohama beach – the largest beach in Karatsu and is in walking distance from Karatsu Station
- Mt. Kagami – offers a breath-taking view, and maybe the occasional hang-glider, from its summit
- Hikiyama Museum – the floats from Kunchi are displayed year-round at this exhibition hall near the Bus Center.
- Pizza Milano – Italian thin-crust and American doughy crust pizzas. Between Gofuku-machi shopping arcade and Karatsu Station.
- OdeCafe – Nice little cafe inspired by European cafe culture. Friendly staff, decent coffee and food, hosts a regular international event called “Friends Party”.
- Shijack – Rotating sushi restaurant. 105 yen for a plate of two pieces of sushi. Located on the south side of station.
- Jujiya – Slow service but boasts an impressive selection of foreign foods and alcohol. Between the station and Snack Street.
- Lagoon – Spacious darts/billiards bar that serves large American-style pizza. Gofuku-machi shopping arcade, open after 7pm.
- Hamakatsu – Fried pork and chicken cutlets. In Kagami down the street from Aeon mall.
- West – Grill-your-own meat barbecue restaurant with salad and dessert bar. Next to Aeon.
- Teppen – Japanese-style pub featuring yakitori and other tapas-style small dishes. Behind Oteguchi bus center.
Traditions and Local Events
To find out what events are coming up around the prefecture, check this month’s events page.
- Karatsu-yaki – world famous earthenware pottery very popular for tea-ceremony enthusiasts.
- Karatsu Kunchi – a huge festival every November 2nd – 4th. Read more here.