Though it is often thought of as merely “a place in-between Saga”, don’t be fooled; there are some surprisingly interesting elements to this small town.
Places of interest
- Mount Hijiri – The highest point in Omachi. Climbing the mountain makes for an excellent day trip and affords wonderful views over the Kishima Plains.
- Omachi Onsen – A natural onsen with excellent outdoor baths and sauna. There’s also a good cafeteria serving up traditional dishes.
- Doi Residence – Former lodging for samurais traveling from Nagasaki to Fukuoka.
- Choshu no Taki – Lovely waterfall tucked into a quiet corner of the town.
- Omachi Kunchi – Small harvest festival held in October
- Soukeichi – Small street market festival held in September
- Taromen – Omachi’s signature dish, based on the noodles coal miners would slurp up after getting off the job.
- Kazokuan – traditional Japanese dishes
- Kuidouraku – Saga-style tonkatsu ramen
- Sasebo Burger – delicious burgers
- Sunbridge – pizza delivery
- Fukagawa-tei – traditional Japanese dishes