This page contains information about recommended hospitals, dentists, optometrists and other clinics, especially those with English-speaking services.
You can also find the clinics mentioned here on the interactive Saga map.
Finding English speaking clinics
- SPIRA – the Saga Prefecture International Relations Association, can provide interpreters for free for medical cases, if you make arrangements in advance. You can contact SPIRA through their Facebook, via email or telephone (0952-25-7921).
- In addition to their in-person medical interpreter service, SPIRA now provides a multilingual call center service to a number of hospitals in the prefecture. This page includes a list of hospitals registered to use this service.
- Hospitals and Clinics – you can search by prefecture, services and language.
- InHos – you can choose city or service from a list of places in Saga (also other prefectures).
- 99 Saga Net – set up by the Saga Prefectural Government, you can search in Japanese or English for different types of clinics (can specify English speaking options).
- United States Consulate, Fukuoka – maintains an online list of English-speaking doctors across Kyushu, organized by prefecture. Click on the Fukuoka tab and scroll down to see the list of doctors in Saga.
International Clinic in Fukuoka – Tojinmachi
Dr. Schlemper offers a range of services are available from this clinic in English, Japanese, German, French, Dutch and Chinese, including diabetes, pediatrics, allergies, gynecology, immunizations and more. The clinic also provides birth control pills and offers STI testing. It is recommended that you make a reservation as it fills up quickly, especially on Saturdays. Website.
Hours: M, T, Th, F 9:00-13:00, 14:00-18:00, Saturday 9:00-13:00, closed Wednesday and Sunday.
Address: 1-4-6 Jigyo, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka-shi, 810-0064, Japan (a short walk from Tojimachi subway station).
English speaking doctor in Yobuko, Karatsu. Website.
Hours: M, Th, F 8:30 – 17:00, T 8:30 – 19:00, W and Sa 8:30-12:00
Address: 123 Tononoura Fukigami, Yobuko, Karatsu City, Saga Prefecture, 847-0304
Occasionally have someone there who can speak English, but if there is no-one they are always very patient and try their best to help. Website.
Hours: M-F 9:00-17:00, Sa 9:00-12:30
Address: 1523-6, Todoroki-machi,Tosu-shi, Saga
Moroe Cardiovascular Clinic
Despite it’s name, it is a just a general practice with a doctor that speaks English in Taku. Website.
Hours: M-Sa 9:00-13:00, M/T/Th/F also 14:00-18:00
Address: 604 Kosamurai, Kitakumachi, Taku-shi, Saga Prefecture, 846-0002
Mental Health Resources
A number of resources, including information on hospitals in Saga that offer mental health services in English, here.
International Clinic in Fukuoka
Ookuma Ladies Clinic
Ookuma Ladies Clinic
Near the apartment block where most of the Saga City ALTs live, you can get the morning-after pill, and other forms of birth control. This is a gynecology and post-natal care place as well. You can also get tested here too. There is a doctor that speaks some English. It is recommended that you make an appointment. Website.
Hours: 9:00-13:00, 14:30-18:00 (Monday – Saturday)
Address: 2-10-5 Takakisenishi, Saga-shi, Saga, 849-0921
Ura Dental Clinic
The Dentist here speaks English, although most of the rest of the staff don’t or only speak very little. Website.
Hours: 9:00-13:00 (Monday – Saturday), 14:00-18:00 (Monday – Friday)
Address: 4-1-29 Hyogominami, Saga-shi, Saga 849-0918
Kato Optometrist Clinic
English speaking Optometrist in Karatsu near the Station. Website.
Hours: Sundays and holidays
Address: 6-43 Nishijonai, Karatsu-shi, Saga, 847-0014