Prefectural Advisors (PAs) are appointed in each prefecture and designated city throughout Japan. The PA role is to provide support to JET participants and contracting organizations (COs), as well as useful information to JET participants about everyday life in Japan.
In Saga Prefecture we have three PAs:
- CIR PA – Works for the Saga Prefectural Government International Affairs Division and the PA role is built into their CIR role. They are PA from August-July
- ALT PA – A Prefectural ALT who volunteers to take on the role and continues to work as an ALT as well as a PA. They are PA from April-March
- Japanese PA – Works for the Saga Prefectural Government International Affairs Division, usually the supervisor of the CIR PA.
Current Saga Prefectural Advisors
Maarten – CIR PA
Hi there! My name is Maarten, I’m from the province of South-Holland, the Netherlands. Thanks to the fact that I was quite the weeb in high school, I went to university to study Japanese language and culture. After spending some time in Osaka as an exchange student and then at my first job in Fukuoka, I am now in my third year of working as a CIR for Saga Prefecture. Our prefecture, as well as the surrounding areas offer so much to explore. Personally, I have picked up some hobbies that were simply not possible in my home country, such as hiking and spearfishing. I am sure Saga will have tons of stuff that will pique your interest too. Looking forward to meeting you!
Jeremy – ALT PA
Hello all, My name is Jeremy. I am from Hayward, CA. but went to school in the northeast. I am a 5th year ALT but this is my first year as PA. I currently live in the heart of Saga prefecture, Saga City, but my first 3 and a half years were spent in Kashima. I like to be active, hang out with friends, and be involved in the community. Saga is an amazing place filled with warm, kind-hearted people. There are many annual and seasonal events that will keep you looking forward to different parts of the year for different reasons. I hope that will you can enjoy all of them during your stay here. I look forward to meeting you all.
Considerations when using the PA System
- Mediation: Legally, PAs cannot become involved in disputes or issues between JETs and their contracting organizations. A JET should first speak directly to their CO before contacting a PA about a work-related issue. PAs may be contacted for advice if both the JET and their CO agree that discussion with a PA would benefit the situation. When deemed necessary by all parties, the CIR PA and J PA can be requested to interpret and mediate discussions between JETs and their COs from a neutral standpoint.
- Counseling: Of course your PAs will do their best to support you in your life in Japan and are very open to listening to the worries and concerns of JETs and offering advice. However, please understand that they are not professional counselors, and as such cannot offer direct mental health support.
JET participants who would like to receive counseling have a number of options, including counseling subsidies from CLAIR and the JET online counseling system. Look here or more information on these options and more.
Any information PAs are told by JETs is kept confidential between PAs, who may consult with each other about an incident unless otherwise specified by the JET. If the JET wishes to keep their identity secret, the PAs may discuss the incident without disclosing personal details. PAs reserve the right to contact emergency services, etc., in the event there is cause to believe a JET will do harm to themselves or to someone else, or is doing something illegal.
To reach a PA please call 0952-25-7328. You can also email the CIR PA.
(**PA contact information is for use by incoming, current, and former Saga JETs only. Contact from unaffiliated bodies will be deleted.)
CIR PA office hours are Monday – Friday 8:30-4:30 and ALT PA office hours are Mondays 9:00-4:30.
Alternatively, if you have a question that you think could benefit other JETs too, you could submit it here (anonymously) and the answer will be made available online.