Visa Info

Tourist Visa Procedure

  • Fill out an Application for Change of Status of Residence (Click here for a link to the various available forms)
  • Go to the post office and buy a 4000 yen Revenue Stamp called a shuunyuinshi (収入印紙)
  • Get a confirmation of your air ticket (in most cases a copy of you e-ticket will do)
  • Take your completed application, revenue stamp, resident card, passport, and your ticket confirmation to the immigration office

Fukuoka Immigration Bureau Saga Branch6th Floor, Second Saga Joint Government Building840-08013-3-20 Ekimae-chuo, Saga City0952-36-6262

  • You should go to the immigration office about 2 weeks before your current visa expires. If you go too early, they may ask you to come back at a later date.
  • The office will notify you when your visa is ready.

KEEP IN MIND – After you change the status of you visa to tourist, you will no longer be a resident of Japan. Your resident card will be punched. You will be unable to work and must carry your passport with you in lieu of a resident card. You must time obtaining your tourist visa properly so you can complete your contract. Your tourist visa can last up to 90 days, but you must return to your home country within 30 days of the end of your contract if you would like your contracting organization to pay for your flight.