Here are some events and activities coming up in March!
Nagasaki Lantern Festival
- Where: Chinatown, Nagasaki City
- When: 2/19 – 3/5
- Details: See over 15,000 beautiful lanterns light up Chinatown, see a Chinese dragon and lion dance, and parade. You can also enjoy Chinese food, music acrobatics and an erhu performance, a traditional musical instrument.
Nabeshima Family Hina Matsuri Display
- Where: Chokokan, Saga City
- When: 2/21 – 3/31, 10:00 – 17:00, 300 yen
Public Lecture by Astronaut Naoko Yamazaki
- Where: Takeo Cultural Centre, Small Hall
- When: 3/1, 14:30 – 4:00
- Details: A public lecture by the second Japanese women to go to space. Yamazaki entered space on the shuttle Discovery as part of mission STS-131. She returned to Earth on April 20, 2010 having spent 15 days, 2 hours, 47 minutes in space. She will be speaking about the importance and fun of science. She’s fluent in English so space nerds can probably talk to her after the lecture.
- Cost: Free, more info: 0952-25-7129 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Yoshinogari Historical Park Truck City
- Where: Yoshinogari Historical Park Parking Lot
- When: 3/1 (Every first Sunday of the month), 8:00 – 11:30
- Details: Various vendors of local produce and craft
Japanese Cooking Class
- Details: Japanese cooking class for foreign residents, run by the Saga City International Relations Association. Pre-registration required.
- Where: Avance, Saga City
- When: 3/8, 10:00-14:00
- Cost: 200 yen
Arita Hinamatsuri Tour 2015
- Details: The Arita Hinamatsuri Tour (held in English) run by the Arita CIR is a great opportunity to visit the birthplace of Japanese porcelain, to admire hina dolls in various shapes and styles and to learn more about porcelain and the Doll’s Festival Hinamatsuri. Registration necessary by March 6th.
- Where: Arita
- When: 3/15, 9:30-16:30
- Cost: 1500 yen (includes transportation during tour, porcelain painting, lunch and + hina doll dress up or sagemon making)
International Amateur Ceramics Exhibit Imari 2015
- Where: Arita Ceramics Traditional Industry Hall (有田焼伝統産業会館), Imari
- When: 3/28 – 4/11, open from 14:00
Hatatsu Walk 2015
- Details: Three courses are available, 10 km, 6 km, and 2.5 km, and a barbecue will be held after. *The sign-up sheet must be filled out and e-mailed for faxed to the organizers by 3/20.
- Where: Hakatsu Fureai Hiroba
- When: 3/29 Reception: 8:00-8:30, Ceremony: 8:30, Start: 9:00
- Cost: 500 yen for adults, 100 yen for children; Barbecue 1500 yen
Yutokumonmae Spring Festival
- Where: The shopping area in front of Yutoku Inari Shrine
- When: 3/28 and 29, 10:00-17:00