Onja Onja Festival
- Details: A 10-meter tall torch is set on fire to pray for good health and prosperity for the new year. The torch is lit from 18:00 and then paraded through the town.
- When: January 7
- Where: Karatsu Tenmangu Shrine
Shiroishi Shrine Hongengyo
- Details: Participants bring their first writing of the year to add to a bonfire, then eat mochi roasted over the fire for good health.
- When: January 11, from 8:30
- Where: Shiraishi Shrine
Imari Ebisu Festival
- Details: A parade in honor of the Seven Gods of Fortune. There is also a raffle from 12:15.
- When: January 12, from 11:00 to 15:00
- Where: Koimari Street
Tosu Premium Outlet Sales
- Details: New Years sale at the premium mall
- When: January 17 to January 26
- Where: Tosu Premium Outlets (take JR to Yayoigaoka station)
- Details: Much like a tea ceremony, but instead of appreciating the flavors of tea, you will be appreciating the fragrance of incense. Participation costs 2000 yen, reservation is required.
- When: January 26, several timeslots available in the morning and afternoon.
- Where: Chokokan (Saga City, near the Prefectural Government Office)
Saga Agricultural Festival
- Details: Large scale farmers market-style festival.
- When: January 30 to February 2, 9:00 to 16:00 (until 15:00 on Feb. 2)
- Where: Kyushu Saga International Airport
Kakigoya (“oyster hut”) in Hatatsu Town
- Details: Grill some oysters, sea snails, or Imari beef at this recently renovated oyster hut.
- When: Every Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 to 16:00, until the end of March.
- Where: Hatatsu Fureai Hiroba
Featured Image (Onja Onja Festival)